The Hollywood Reporter magazine is seeking a temporary Copy Chief for approximately four months, mid-March through July.
The Copy Chief will manage the THR print copy desk, overseeing a large volume of content in a fast-paced and lively environment. She/he will copyedit and proofread editorial content for the weekly magazine, and work closely with the AME to meet press deadlines while ensuring that the copy desk runs smoothly and efficiently.
The position is located in Los Angeles but open to candidates who are interested in temporarily relocating for the four months of this temporary assignment.
RESPONSIBILITIES (include but not limited to the following):
• Manage the THR print copy desk, overseeing high copyediting standards and efficient operation: expedite trafficking and processing of articles; communicate and execute priorities; work closely with the AME to ensure that the weekly magazine and standalone specials get to press on deadline.
• Copyedit and proofread editorial content for the weekly, with some fact-checking as needed.
• Work with editors and reporters to resolve queries.
• Compile and make changes to articles in Adobe InCopy.
• Write preliminary headlines, deks, captions as needed to expedite copy flow.
• Perform final read on all stories. Check that changes from prior proofs have accurately been made.
• Lead daily lineup/production meetings with staff when AME is out of the office.
• Assist AME in updating issue lineups.
• Minimum 3 years as copy chief of a print publication. Consumer magazine and weekly or daily experience is ideal. Assistant Managing Editor experience a plus.
• Ability to juggle a demanding and fast-paced workload, long hours on close days, and daily/hourly communication with staff.
• Comfortable leading a production meeting with a large staff.
• Flexibility, calm, exacting standards, and on-the-spot problem-solving skills all beneficial.
• Must be proficient in K4. Knowledge of or interest in the entertainment industry a plus.
Due to the volume of resumes that we receive, only those candidates selected for consideration will be contacted. No phone calls, no agencies please. The Hollywood Reporter offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits.
The Hollywood Reporter is an equal opportunity employer.