Editor in Chief | Spin
At the Billboard-Hollywood Reporter Media Group we reach more than 55M people monthly across all our music and entertainment properties under the brands Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, Spin, Vibe and Stereogum. The group exists under the parent company Valence Media, which includes Dick Clark Productions and Media Rights Capital. We are seeking a strategic, creative, editorial leader to help chart the path forward for the historic Spin media brand, while coordinating and exploring cross-brand opportunities within the Valence family of properties.
The Editor in Chief will lead the editorial and social content teams as well as oversee all video, branded and event strategies for Spin. The primary goal will be to develop a content strategy that leverages the expertise, history and assets of this legendary music brand. That plan will center on growing their audience reach via new and innovative cross-platform content offerings including but not limited to news, features, video, social content, podcasts and other emerging platforms.
This editorial lead will report to the CEO and manage the full-time and freelance staffs, partnerships as well as the associated budgets. This person will coordinate with the appropriate legal, analytics, product, video, sales and marketing leads about the strategies and needs connected with this property. The Editor in Chief will explore new opportunities to collaborate among the other Valence media brands Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, Vibe and Stereogum as well as Dick Clark Productions, to develop new audiences, content offerings and intellectual property.
- Establish a clear brand value proposition for Spin that informs and entertains music fans on all relevant platforms
- Create a cohesive content strategy to expand the audience reach and impact of the Spin brand
- Oversee all content creators and editorial calendars
- Manage editorial production, including in-house and third-party partners
- Identify opportunities for multi-platform content development including licensed and partners
- Work with video leads to develop video production and distribution strategies that drive audience growth and foster new intellectual property opportunities
- Work with analytics to conduct research, tracking and develop industry trends and analyses that informs content investment and optimization
- Conduct quarterly competitive analysis to establish Spin’s position relative to similar brands
- Serve as primary point of contact with legal, video, events, analytics, product and sales
- Work with CEO to establish performance goals, and oversee measurement protocols
- Work with CEO to develop annual budget and report on pacing versus budget
- Deep familiarity with music and entertainment content and programming
- Proven success in developing content and programming strategies that reflect the brand and target audience
- Broad experience in editorial production, including managing editorial teams focused on news, feature, social and video content tailored to a music consuming audience
- A leader who can foster a continuous flow of new ideas and vet them with a clear understanding of the target audience and evolving platforms
- Ability to manage to goals with a strong track record of project management and execution
- A positive-minded creative problem solver
- Sets ambitious goals for teams that reflect the organization’s objectives
- Ability to build consensus with key stakeholders and create buy-in
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s preferred; media, journalism or related field
- 5+ years experience in a digital media or publishing environment; entertainment, music preferred
- 5+ years experience in management of digital editorial teams; entertainment, music preferred
- Ability to present thought leadership and insights in a clear compelling fashion
- Will work closely with heads of Video, Analytics, Events, Product, Legal and Sales
- Prometheus Global Media is an equal opportunity employer.